What to Wear
Frequently we get a lot of emails about what families, seniors, or even models should wear to their portrait sessions. While there is certainly no right or wrong way to dress, there are definitely some general guidelines that you can follow. And yes, you can always do the typical white shirts and khaki pants, but why not show a little more of your personality? Here are a few tips to get you started:
1. Try to stay away from white, if possible. If you just bought a beautiful white smocked dress for your little girl or your all-time favorite sweater is white, then by all means wear it, but otherwise, move on to something with a little color. White sometimes can wash people out.
2. Pick a color palette of 2-3 colors and stay within those shades. You can use different patterns, but make sure that at least a few people are in solids.
3. Think about your background. If your session is going to be in the green grass in the middle of a park, pick a color palette that will contrast with that green, like a red, pink, or blue.
4. Try not to get too trendy. Don’t get us wrong – We are all about some trend – but usually not for the family portrait or portfolio images. Think stylish rather than trendy. You can always add some flair later on in the session. If it is too trendy your photo can be dated very quickly.
5. Keep it comfortable. It has been our experience that when kids (and husbands!) are comfortable, they take better pictures. Again, you may love that smocked dress, but if she doesn’t smile in it, is it worth it? If you feel beautiful you are far more likely to photograph beautifully.